A 3-STEP PROGRAM TO MAKING STEP FAMILIES WORK
What’s different in step-families?
Living in a step-family brings both challenges and highlights. This 3-Step program provides an opportunity to explore the unique relationships between couples, children, former partners and extended family within a step-family in a safe and respectful setting.
The program is designed to support you over a period of time, as you learn and put into practise some of the key concepts and strategies. By stepping out the learning, giving you an opportunity to feedback and discuss how things are going along the way, we believe that you and your family will be able to deal with the challenges and celebrate the highlights.
The program is delivered by experienced facilitators, with an understanding of the uniqueness of blended families. During the program, re-partnered couples will learn more about how to balance everyone’s needs and how to strengthen relationships in their new step-family.
Upon registration our co-ordinator will contact you to discuss the different elements of the program and to gain an understanding of the unique challenges your family may be facing so this can be incorporated into the program design and delivery (specifically at Step 2).
STEP 1 – GROUP SESSION
Step 1 involves attending a one-day group session with other re-partnered couples. This session will provide each couple with an opportunity to explore and discuss some of the key areas facing blended families. These topics and areas include:
- Understanding origins of a step family and debunking step family myths
- Understanding and dealing with grief and loss in the step family
- Identifying expectations of each new partner
- Defining roles, titles and dynamics desired in the new
- Identifying already existing dynamics between new partners, and children
- Understanding the importance of self-care
- Learning healthy communication skills and ways to handle differences
- Creating new step family rituals of emotional connection
In addition, the group session allows couples in similar circumstances to come together and share their experiences. Being a group settings can help to normalise your experiences as you talk with others who know what you’re talking about because they have been there too.
Step 1 – Duration & Fee
- 1 Day session of 5 hours (10am – 4pm)
- Wednesday 13th of September at LifeWorks Melbourne City
- $300 per couple
Book into Step 1 by using the book now button at the end of this page
STEP 2 – PRIVATE SESSION
Step 2 involves attending up to 4 hours of private consultation with the program facilitator.
This private session will focus on discussing in detail the concepts covered in the group session and on issues specific to your family. It provides couples with a private environment to unpack and work through certain challenges, be that specific relationships within the family or externally.
The private session is conducted within three months of the group session. This allows couples time to put into practice some of their learnings as well as better identify or respond to their unique concerns.
Step 2 – Duration & Fee
- 1 x 4 hour or 2 x 2 hour private session
- At an agreed date, time & location
- $320 per couple
*STEP 3 – Check Up & Check In (@ discounted price for couples completing Step 1 & 2)
Step 3 involves attending a 2 hour private consultation with the facilitator, between 6 and 12 months after Step 1 (group session).
This Step is optional in the program but highly recommended.
This private session allows couples to check in on how they are travelling, on what has worked and what hasn’t and to discuss any current issues or concerns. Much like going to the Dentist – a couple check up, is a way of ensuring things aren’t left unsaid!
Step 3 – Duration & Fee
- 1 x 2 hour private session
- At an agreed date, time & location
- *$80 per couple (half price for couples who have completed Step 1 & 2)
- Interactive workshop/style sessions
- Couple and big group interactive activities
- Separated or divorced individuals considering re-partnering
- Re-partnered couples seeking information to create a healthy step family
- Re-partnered couples who already identify some struggles in their new step family’s dynamics
Comments from previous participants
“It makes me feel better knowing that my struggles are normal as a step-mum”
“I am glad we came to the program, I feel I can now understand better with my partner’s interaction with his ex-husband makes me so angry”
“I know it still we be hard at times but I feel better equipped to deal with my new partner’s children. Knowing now what she expects from me as a step-dad is very helpful”.